Global Community

1.  Resarch Administration Certifications Question

Posted 07-21-2017 11:49

I am looking at certifications available in research administration.  I have plenty of information about US-based ones, like CRA, CPRA, CFRA.  I am wondering: will US-based research administrators benefit from getting an EARMA Research administration certification for example? Or similar ones from other organizations?  

In theory, it will be helpful if your institution works with foreign institutions a lot, or is trying to increase that involvement.  In practice though?  Is this feasible / practical / possible? 

Have anyone looked into this?  Does anyone have both US and EU certifications?

What do you all think?

Elena Semyonova-Smith, CRA
Manager, Post Award Services
University of Kansas Office of Research.
Lawrence, KS
elenas-s@... / 785-864-7435

2.  RE: Resarch Administration Certifications Question

Posted 07-26-2017 10:43
Hi, Elena.   I highly recommend the AM59 session "Research Administration Certification Programs Offered Globally:  Exploring Ways to Validate You as a Research Administrator that will Benefit Your Career, Community, and Institution."  Presenters will be myself and Danielle Smith from the University of Michigan who have CRAs and Sharon Bailey, chair of EARMA, who can discuss their certification program.

Description is as follows:


The role of the research administrator (RA) has taken many forms over the years with the expansion of science and research both here in the United States and internationally.  Along with this dramatic growth and diversity of research comes complicated legal and regulatory requirements, complex and difficult-to-navigate bureaucracies, and the increased demand for public accountability.  Indeed, the research enterprise today is vast, global, and the knowledge and skills needed and required by a research administrator encompass a broad spectrum.  

One way to demonstrate achievement of an advanced level of knowledge and understanding of the principals, concepts and regulations for administering research is to participate in an accredited certification program.  In the United States, the Certified Research Administrator (CRA) has provided over 2,700 Research Administrators  with expertise and credibility.  Other global partners offer a variety of certifications including but not limited to:

  • the European Association of Research Managers (EARMA) recognizes the European Certificate in Research Management (ECRM) program
  • the Association of Research Managers and Administrators (ARMA) and the Canadian Association of Research Administrators (CARA) recognizes their Certificate in Research Administration (CRA) and the Certificate in Research Administration (CRM) programs

Sue Kelch
Senior Financial Specialist
University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
Ann Arbor, MI
(734) 764-8112

3.  RE: Resarch Administration Certifications Question

Posted 08-28-2017 11:30
At several times in the past, the question has been raised regarding a certification exam that specializes in international research.  That's still something we're interested in doing.  Conceptually, it might be a 250 question exam (much like the CRA), but with only about 100 questions representing the most significant parts of the Body of Knowledge.  Another 100 questions would be similar in content, but from the UK or EU perspective (funding sources, regulations, etc.).  The other 50 questions might be on matters of international intellectual property issues, human subjects research, and other topics.

Just a thought.

Jeffrey Ritchie , CRA, CFRA
Director of Sponsored Programs
Lewis University
Romeoville, IL