Job Title: Sr. Assoc. Dir. Research Administration Operations
Position Number: 500086
Under the direction of the Director of the Office of Research Administration (ORA) in the Division of Research, Economic Development and Engagement (REDE), the Senior Associate Director for Research Administration Operations is responsible for strategic management and oversight of operations within ECU's combined pre- and post-award central research administration office. The Senior Associate Director has eight direct reports and leads a staff of over twenty-five professionals to ensure a seamless, efficient, and transparent research administration infrastructure that supports the research mission of the University. The Senior Associate Director works collaboratively with ORA's compliance and monitoring officer and the education and outreach officer to ensure use of best practices in the management of sponsored projects, compliance with governmental and internal regulations and standard operating procedures, and appropriate stewardship of sponsored project funds. He/she also works collaboratively with the electronic research administration systems administrator to ensure harmonization of data management with business processes and workflow. The Senior Associate Director serves as the acting director in the absence of the Director and is an Authorized Organizational Representative (AOR).
Specific job responsibilities include:
Participate in strategic planning activities of the Office and Division. At the request of the Director, represent the Office of Research Administration on internal, division, and university committees and task forces. Foster and perpetuate a research administration culture of customer service, capability, empowerment, and success that is distinguished by high quality proactive oversight.
Manage day-to-day pre- and post-award functions in the areas of proposal review and submission, award negotiation and acceptance, award administrative and financial management, effort reporting, revenue management, and project close-out. Provide effective supervision of assigned staff including position description development/management, hiring, mentoring/supervising, and corrective action when necessary; ensuring appropriate training and professional development; workload assignment; performance planning and appraisal; and salary administration. Recommend personnel actions to the Director and provide supporting documentation for such actions as required by Human Resources.
Maintain in-depth knowledge of external sponsor regulations and act as a liaison between ORA and assistant deans for research, college level research administration Research Support Offices (RSOs), departmental administrators, and faculty investigators to interpret and communicate policies and procedures or specific agreement terms for institutional implementation. Stay abreast of current federal regulations and pending revisions, the Federal Acquisition Regulations, Code of Federal Regulations, cost accounting standards, North Carolina laws, and University of North Carolina System policies and reporting requirements to ensure continued compliance. Provide subject matter expertise to ORA staff, associate deans for research, college-level research administration personnel and departmental administrators, and faculty investigators.
Serve as a member of the ORA leadership team. Monitor operational performance of reporting units. Drive continuous improvements for quality and effectiveness of central research administration services. Track issues, make recommendations, and collaborate with the Director to formulate resolutions to problems. Revise operating procedures and internal business processes to address problems and accommodate changes in the regulatory environment and growth in the sponsored programs portfolio. In collaboration with the eRA Systems Administrator, the Compliance Monitoring Officer and the Education and Communications Officer, develop/modify internal systems, processes, workflows, and reports to promote operational efficiency, data integrity, and high-quality customer service.
Interact as necessary with collaborating organizations, external sponsors, auditors, higher-level University officials, and other campus units (i.e., Finance & Administration, Internal Audit, Advancement, etc.) and associate deans for research, department heads, business officers and research administrators in academic units on matters relating to sponsored research administration.
Serve as acting director in the absence of the Director of ORA and as an Authorized Organizational Representative (AOR) for proposal submissions, award/contract receipt, award/contract modifications, sub-awards, financial reports/invoices, and non-sponsored project research-related agreements.
Direct Link: http://ecu.peopleadmin.com/hr/postings/19788
Click here to view the Search Committee Job Aid.
Job Title: Sr Sponsored Program Officer
Position Number: 500024
Under the direction of the Director of the Office of Research Administration (ORA) within the Division of Research, Economic Development and Engagement (REDE), the Senior Sponsored Programs Officer is responsible for the following:
- Manage an assigned sponsored projects portfolio, focusing on final proposal review and submission, award acceptance, and post-award modifications.
- Provide expert guidance and mentoring to Hub and other unit administrators and non-Hub supported faculty regarding fundamental approaches to successful grantsmanship and policies and procedures related to crafting, constructing, and submitting high-quality grant proposals and contract bids; in interpreting sponsor application requirements and preparing proposals and budgets (including addressing compensation/time allocation issues, cost-sharing, choice and application of F&A rate); and in utilizing sponsor form sets, electronic proposal submission systems, and sponsor grant management systems. Maintain/share knowledge of award management practices with these constituents to inform effective project design and development, and assist them as necessary in negotiating internal approval procedures for proposal submission.
- Identify and communicate with internal and external personnel whose cooperation is key to proposal success. Collaborate with Hub administrators and other unit administrators, associate deans for research, center/institute directors, and external points of contact to ensure investigators preparing proposals are fully supported. Consult with University personnel to address issues that may interfere with proposal submission. Professionally balance the criticality of institutional processes with firm proposal submission deadlines.
- Provide the final institutional review of funding proposals submitted by Hub administrators and non-Hub supported faculty for compliance with sponsor and University requirements. Using a variety of electronic systems, submit proposals to sponsors on behalf of the institution under delegated authority from the Chancellor and the Director of Research Administration. Conduct, facilitate, manage, and document official communication with external funding entities to monitor and, as needed, to assist Hub and other administrators in coordinating revisions to the budget, aims, work plan, project dates, and deliverables associated with sponsored projects.
- Review, modify as necessary, and accept unilateral sponsored project agreements and prepare for signature routine bilateral contracts with external governmental, philanthropic, and corporate funding entities. As necessary, assist the Sponsored Programs Contracts Officer (SPCO) in negotiating non-routine bilateral funding agreements.
- Assist and advise Hub and other administrators, non-Hub supported faculty, and project teams in the non-financial aspects of award management.
- Develop and recommend solutions to problems that confront OSP, Hub and other administrators, investigators, and project teams. Identify personnel with knowledge, responsibility, and authority (e.g. University leadership, administrative services, institutional risk management, university attorneys, and compliance offices), translate and interpret challenges as they relate to sponsored projects, and link such personnel with Hub and other administrators, investigators, and project teams for problem resolution.
- Ensure comprehensive and accurate official University records of proposal submissions and award receipts in University's Electronic Research Administration (eRA) system to ensure quality data for operational and strategic planning and assessment purposes. Provide training and support to Hub administrators and faculty regarding eRA system navigation and use.
- Participate effectively in review and development of institutional policy and procedures to ensure application of best practices in pursuing and managing sponsored projects and in complying with federal and state requirements.
- Develop and disseminate, both formally and informally, information, documentation, and tools that improve the practice of research administration to personnel both within and without the University.
Direct Link: http://ecu.peopleadmin.com/hr/postings/19453
Please contact Human Resources or the search commitee/hiring offical if you have any questions.
ECU HR Employment employment@... (252) 328-9847