The Education Scholarship Fund Select Committee (ESF) oversees the NCURA Education Scholarship Fund budgetary, management, and awarding activities. The Select Committee has responsibility for facilitating fundraising efforts to ensure the Fund maintains the level needed to award scholarships towards master’s degrees in research administration, member application process, application reviews, scholarship award initiation, and scholarship award management oversight. Select Committee members are confirmed by the NCURA Board of Directors. The goal is to have representation from each of the eight (8) regions. The Treasurer or designee from the Financial Management Committee will serve as an ex-officio on the Select Committee.
Vice Chair Position Description
DURATION: One-year term followed by a subsequent one-year term as Chair
1. Function of Position – Supports the Chair to schedule monthly ESF meetings, co-facilitate discussions with the ESF members, co-manage the NCURA’s Education Scholarship Fund, and ensure the ESF membership is appointed and remains engaged. ESF functions include facilitating fundraising efforts to ensure the Fund maintains the level needed to award scholarships towards master’s degrees in research administration, member application process, application reviews, scholarship award initiation, and scholarship award management oversight.
2. Essential Duties, Responsibilities, & Time Commitment – The ESF Vice Chair will assist the Chair to convene at least monthly telephone conference calls and more frequent meetings on an as-needed basis and will oversee the meeting agenda. Much of the committee’s work will be accomplished through e-mail and other electronic means such as Collaborate. Approximately eight (8) hours per month as Vice Chair and twelve (12) hours per month as Chair, averaged across a year, can be anticipated.
- Knowledge and/or Skills – An understanding of NCURA's primary mission as a professional development organization and a strong commitment to the growth of the research administration profession.
- Education and/or Experience – Prior experience with university research administration issues is required. Prior service on NCURA national or regional committees or taskforces, especially the ESF Select Committee, is highly desirable.
- Communication and/or Collaborative Skills – Excellent written and oral communication skills, leadership and facilitation skills, ability to work collaboratively in a virtual team environment, creative marketing and fundraising skills are preferred, and ability and enthusiasm to highly engage membership in the importance of the ESF.
4. Training and Support -NCURA staff will provide necessary orientation and support to the ESF Chair and Vice Chair.
5. Additional Information (Benefits, Cost Reimbursement, Travel Requirements, etc) - Travel is not anticipated for ESF meetings. However, the ESF Chair and Vice Chair are expected to make reasonable efforts to attend the Annual Meeting in order to participate in annual fundraising efforts. Travel to the Annual Meeting will not be reimbursed by NCURA.
Required Application Material (1 single PDF file)
- CV (no more than two pages) emphasizing leadership experience (including personal, institutional, NCURA, and/or other professional organizations) and specific NCURA regional and/or national service related to the position.
- A statement of interest (no more than one page) on why you would like to serve on the Education Scholarship Fund Select Committee, and how you demonstrate:
- Leadership skills (does not have to be within NCURA)
- An understanding of NCURA’s primary mission and the research administration profession.
- Communication, facilitation, and fundraising skills.
Please send application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 09, 2023.
If you have additional questions about the position, please contact NCURA Accounts Payable Manager, Julio Hernandez or NCURA Education Scholarship Fund Select Committee Chair, Nicole Nichols
Reflective of NCURA's Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, we are committed to achieving diversity of all kinds in our appointments, including experience, geographic area, institutional type, gender, and ethnicity, and we encourage ALL interested members to become involved in NCURA.