DESCRIPTION OF POSITION:
Five (5) openings are anticipated in the Select Committee on Global Affairs (SCGA) at the end of 2019. The SCGA is NCURA's select committee responsible for assisting, advocating, and advancing NCURA’s global strategic agenda and initiatives. The committee’s areas of responsibility include global research educational programming, several NCURA Fellowship Programs with international reach, serving as NCURA’s global ambassadors, and advocacy for the International Region.
Select Committee members are confirmed by the NCURA Board of Directors. Reflective of NCURA's Diversity and Inclusion Statement, we are committed to achieving diversity of all kinds in its appointments, including experience, geographic area, institutional type, gender, and ethnicity, and we encourage ALL interested members to become involved in NCURA.
Two-year term starting January 1, 2020.
- Function of Position - To provide guidance and oversight in achieving NCURA’s global strategic agenda and initiatives. This includes: (1) the development, implementation, oversight, and evaluation of all global educational programming including faculty selection; (2) overseeing the NCURA’s Fellowship Programs (ARMS, EARMA, Global, SARIMA, and others) including application, evaluation, and selection; (3) serving as NCURA’s global ambassadors to communicate with non-US visitors and organizations; (4) providing direction on communication between the International Region, Global Collaborate Community, and the overall NCURA membership; and (5) advocating and assisting the International Region in program development and outreach (as needed).
- Essential Duties and Responsibilities and Time Commitment – The SCGA will meet monthly via telephone conference call and on an as-needed basis. In addition, much of its work will be accomplished through e-mail and other electronic means. Approximately two hours per week, averaged across a year, can be anticipated.
- Knowledge and/or Skills - An understanding of NCURA's primary mission as a professional development organization, and a strong commitment to NCURA’s leadership role in the global research management community internationally.
- Education and/or Experience - Prior experience with university research administration issues, particularly of a global or transnational nature, is required. Prior service on NCURA national or regional committees or taskforces is highly desirable.
- Cross-cultural Communication and/or Collaborative Skills – Excellent written and oral communication skills, ability to work collaboratively in a virtual team environment, ability and desire to communicate NCURA’s mission and goals effectively, and cultural competence in working with people from different backgrounds.
- Training and Support - The Chair of SCGA and NCURA staff provide necessary orientation and support to SCGA members.
- Additional Information (Benefits, Cost Reimbursement, Travel Requirements, etc) - Approved travel for SCGA business is reimbursed by NCURA at times other than the Annual Meeting.
Travel Reimbursement Policy
A full version of the NCURA Travel reimbursement policy can be found here.
A full version of the NCURA Travel Reimbursement FAQs can be found here.
CONDITIONS OF THE POSITION
If selected, in accepting the position you are required to follow the following conditions:
- Maintain an active and current NCURA membership during the period you are in the position
- Comply with and uphold the NCURA Code of Conduct, and:
- Respect for the Law
- Committee members will respect the laws of the country and locale in which they are traveling to represent NCURA.
- Cultural Sensitivity
- Committee members will be culturally sensitive to the local customs of the inhabitants of their travel destination when representing NCURA.
- Appropriate Personal Behaviour
- Committee members will not engage in behaviour at any time which will impede their ability to present at or attend the agreed upon programs. Committee members’ personal conduct will not have a negative impact on the reputation of their countries or professional associations.
- Respect for others and Tolerance of their Opinions
- Committee members will respect the cultural background of colleagues when representing NCURA. They will be tolerant and will refrain from harassment of any individual based on their sex, marital status, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, disability, political affiliation or religious beliefs.
- Required Application Material (1 single PDF file - last name, first name), please send to email@example.com
- Current resume/CV highlighting your NCURA activities
- Statement of interest (500 words maximum) on why you would like to serve as a member of the SCGA
CODE OF CONDUCT
If you have additional questions about the position please contact Senior Manager of Global Initiatives Claire Chen at firstname.lastname@example.org, SCGA Chair Gai Doran at email@example.com, or SCGA Vice Chair Maria Palazuelos at firstname.lastname@example.org .